PLACES TO VISIT
The lake is one of the numerous environmental attractions the Telese area has to offer. It is located to the south-east of the town centre and not far from the banks of the river Calore in a relatively central position in the Telesina valley and visible from all surrounding locations.
This small stretch of water (around 49,000 m2 and with a circumference of around 850 m) has an almost round shape and is around 20 -25 m deep.
The well equipped surrounding area and the panoramic road more than one kilometre long are characterised by varied, luxuriant vegetation, as well as a restaurant, a hotel and a swimming pool offering the traveller the unspoilt environment which makes Lake Telese a popular destination especially during the summer.
In 1876 the Impresa Minieri Company started construction on the Thermal Baths which opened in 1883 followed by the “Grand Hotel Minieri” on the slopes of Mount Pugliano. The thermal baths in Telese assumed national or even international importance and started developing the area for tourism.
The first “Goccioloni” spa pool was followed by a larger complex which is today used for aerosol therapy, hydrotherapy and other kinds of therapy. The facilities and the spa pools are surrounded by one of the largest secular tree parks in Italy.
In the so-called “Thermal Park” with its entrance in Piazza Minieri there are also two pools with thermal spring water, the “Goccioloni and the “Pera” pools both indicated in particular for the prevention and treatment of skin diseases while a third thermal pool in the spa facilities in the Grand Hotel Telese, is used mainly for neuromotor rehabilitation activities and vascular courses. The Thermal Park also has some recreational facilities such as a children’s playground, a water bottling plant and a conference centre for around 500 people.
The Telese Thermal Baths have continued to be a popular tourist destination during the summer since 1991, the year in which Telese adopted the more specific name of “Telese Terme”.
The Ancient Jacobelli Thermal Baths are located at the junction between Castelvenere, Solopaca and Telese. Chronicles describe a delightful place full of greenery with nice shady walks.
After the completion of the restoration work in 2008, the Ancient Jacobelli Thermal Baths became a natural park where you can still see the remains of the private cabins for swimming, two pools of sulphur water and the pump room.
Among the ruins of medieval Telesia is the imposing rectangular base Bell Tower located in Via Roma in the hamlet of Vescovado.
The bell tower is one of the rarest and most interesting Norman monuments in Campania.
The tower is what remains of the Cathedral of Santa Croce (the Holy Cross) built in Norman times (X century) and subsequently rebuilt and given the name of St. Mary of the Trinity. The rectangular base monument measures 6.00 m x 6.70 m and is 17 m high.
HOW TO GET HERE
Telese Terme (commonly called only Telese) is a city of the province of Benevento – South Italy. The city is located in the center of the Telesina valley, on the right of the Calore river. It is located about 30 km from Benevento, 33 km from Caserta and 58 km from Naples.
From the North:
Highway A1 exit CAIANELLO, state output 372 exit TELESE TERME
From the South:
Highway A1 exit CASERTA SUD, Via Nazionale APPIA, Maddaloni, Fondo Valle Isclero exit TELESE TERME
From the East:
Highway A16 exit BENEVENTO, state output 372 exit TELESE TERME
Train Station TELESE – CERRETO (400 m from the city center)
High Speed Train Station NAPOLI – AFRAGOLA (44 km)
High Speed Train Station NAPOLI CENTRALE (58,6 km)
Naples Capodichino International Airport ( 52,9 km)